Search This Blog

Monday, October 08, 2007

Assertive

I once was worried that Z was too nice, and not assertive enough.
When he was younger, he would let other kids take his toys. A shrug and a blink, and he was off to get another toy.
If someone was crying because they dropped their ice cream on the floor, Z would give them his.
Tonight, when there was one piece of pizza left, he eyed it for a second, and then asked, "Mama, do you want that pizza?"
I told him I didn't.
He then said, "Can I have it?" What three-year-old thinks of his mom (or anyone but himself) first when it comes to toys or food?

So, I worried that he might be too nice. That he might get taken advantage of.
Today, he showed me otherwise:

B hit and kicked him.
After being sent to his room to think of a better ways to handle his frustration,
B finally came out, gave Z a hug, and said, "I am sorry for hitting you."
B started to walk away.
Z didn't let him go that easily, "What about you are sorry for kicking me?"
B muttered another "Sorry" over his shoulder as he walked away.
Z pointed to the ground in front of him, and demanded, "Come over here and say it."

Well. OK. I would say we have no reason to worry then.

No comments:

Post a Comment