Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

My Babies



Just a little over three years ago, my babies were tiny, tiny. They couldn't breathe on their own. They couldn't eat without being tube fed. They couldn't regulate their own temperature.

Today, they headed off to school. PREschool, but still.

I had nightmares all night. B getting beat up and no teacher to notice. S having to pee and not knowing who to ask. I dreamed they wouldn't let me even come in to see their classroom. "We need our privacy", the crazy, green-haired desk lady spat...

I always have to poop when I am nervous. I was almost always late to Speech class if it was my turn to speak. I had to poop first. And right before my wedding. Right before I got baptized. As soon as I get pulled over. And today. Our kids were late because their mom was so traumatized by the idea of her kids going off to school that she had to run back and poop.

Do you want me tell you how it was when we got there?

It was fine.
The kids start school by eating breakfast together. Baldwin is the poorest community in Michigan, and most schools try to assure good concentration by starting the students out with a good breakfast.
They get to serve themselves....it is all served family style. They think they are big.
They sang and listened to Miss Erin read a story.
They chose between painting and dress-up or blocks and sand toys.
They played with stuff at the science table.
They played outside on the swingset.
And they brushed their teeth. Twice.

They loved it.
Preschool was not nearly as traumatizing for them as I might have imagined. I am ok now.
So are they.

No comments:

Post a Comment