Search This Blog

Friday, September 21, 2007

Tidbits of Wisdom from B



Miss Erin (the kids' teacher) said she is working on teaching the kids about appropriate responses to their emotions. For instance, if you are angry, you should Stop, Breathe Deeply Three Times, and then think of Something That Makes You Happy. I, being the teacher-supporting mom that I am, decided to follow up at home:
Me: "B, what would you do if someone took a toy from you at school?"
B: "I would knock him down. And throw rocks at him."
Me: "Is that what you've been learning at school with Miss Erin?"
B: "No, we hafta do that though..."
Me: "Um, I'm pretty sure you don't have to do that. Do you think you can think of a better response? Or no?"
B: "Nope", (with that "I'm right, you're wrong" look on his face).
Me: Silent, still trying to figure out how to respond to my kid's smugness...
B: "God helped that little guy knock the giant guy down with stones though....So I hafta..."

Oh. Right.

----------------------

B: "I like fish, Mama."
Me: "I do too."
B: "Yup, you hafta take off the fins, and eyes, and mouth, and teeth, and tail, and then we like fishes, right?

Sure, that sounds really appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment