Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Idiots


I'm sure you've all had this at some point or another in your life: People make rude comments or give unsolicited advice. People insinuate that they are better somehow. In some ways, it's playground talk. It's trying to make themselves feel better by criticizing the way you do things. It's a step more mature (?) than what we did when we were six.

My boys met a kid at the (not so) local playground the other day. They became fast "friends".

The kid was on the largish side.

Soon enough, some little punks started mocking the kid: "Hey Fat Kid!" Soon after that, my kids were also being called "Idiots".

Apparently, the five-year old twin boys thought they were cool, because they were skinnier than the big kid and taller than our short kids.

I wondered what my boys' response would be. Would they side with their new-found friend? Would they mock him to avoid being mocked? Would they fight? Would they cry?

I watched as one of the kids lightly punched Z in the arm; not enough to hurt him, but enough to show that he was, indeed, very tough. Z calmly looked at him, and said, "................."

I didn't know what he said. I couldn't hear him. I just saw the kid kind of slump down and walk away, and I called Z over to ask him what went on.

He said, "I told him if he wanted to play with us, we would play, but ONLY after he stopped being so mean. And so he walked away."

And I was proud. The kid gets it. You don't have to hit back. You don't have to join in the mocking. You don't have to make a big deal of it. You don't have to get defensive. You just state the facts, clearly and objectively. In adult words, it would sound like: "You are welcome to be my friend when you are treating me respectfully. You can find someone else to spend your time with if you plan on being an ass. Thanks."

I like that. I should learn from my son. I guess I just have. Thanks, young, wise boy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment