Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Black



Z has a difficult time with anything requiring fine motor. He usually finds ways to work around it. Not in the typical sense...
He doesn't hold his pencil in a different way so he has more control of his writing.
And he doesn't draw more slowly to get it all "just right".

No, Z finds ways around it by saying, "Well, I tried to write it like that, because I wanted it to look all messy, like a tornado came through." (He had to do that particular worksheet over, by the way.)

Take today for another example.

The kids worked on "self portraits".
I traced their heads and shoulders, added an outline of their clothes, and the kids added details to make the outlines look like them.
All was well, for about 5 minutes.

Until Z had a hard time painting his eyes. They were "too big!" I tried to talk him through it. "They are fine, Z. There is no right way to do this picture. I love that you picked out a color that is so close to the real color of your eyes..."

He began working on his shirt color.

I went upstairs to get M from his nap.

When I returned, Z's picture was all black.


"Z, when you are frustrated, that doesn't give you the right to ruin yours or other people's things." (Item #3 on the infamous Star Chart)

His response?

"I didn't ruin it, mom. I couldn't help it. I am wearing my black Spiderman pajamas, and it's night time. You're not supposed to see me!"

(Creative, Z. Really, you are. You ended up re-doing this project too. Not because I didn't secretly love your creativity, but because you need to learn to work THROUGH your frustration, boy. I love you, black pajamas and all.)

The 2nd edition of Z's self portrait is strikingly familiar. I was thinking maybe Beaker from the Muppets, but I don't think that's it. I can't place it...

Huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment