Search This Blog

Sunday, September 06, 2009

Pippi



I love Pippi. Have I said that before? I used to want to be Pippi. I remember dressing up like her on several Halloweens. And at a costume party at camp one summer.

My friend, Marsha, and I used to BEG my mom to rent the movie (the one with voice overs), and we would watch it every time we got together.

I recently started reading Pippi to our kids. And of course, they love her too. Because she is cool. And funny. And strong. And cocky. And rich. And nice. And red-headed. Everyone loves a red-head. Unless that red head is an ugly step child.

I rented the movie. And while the new one isn't as good as the originals, the kids still adored her. They are officially obsessed.

Today, (and yesterday and the day before) they pretended to be Pippi (or Pippi's dad, in the boys' case) in all sorts of precarious situations. Rescuing kids from an orphanage fire, drawing her horse (life-sized) on the classroom wall, climbing into a hollow tree...

This particular photo is of Pippi (S), "when she was a princess of the natives", Pippi's pirate/sea captain Papa (Z), and Pippi's monkey, Mr. Neilson (M). All floating away on the boat that would soon end up at Ville Villa Kula.




If you have no idea what I am talking about, you need to read the book. Even now, when you are in your late to mid, um, 30s? 40s? 80s?

No comments:

Post a Comment