Search This Blog

Saturday, December 13, 2008

B's Turn


It is B's turn to be re-introduced. I am, again, going to help you to see who he is by telling a few, short stories:

We "splurged" at McDonalds for K's birthday: We got Happy Meals the kids and something not on the Dollar Menu for us.

We might have picked another place to celebrate, but the Chinese restaurant waitresses are crabby, and no other restaurant will entertain our kids for us (with an indoor playground) for up to two hours at a time. What better birthday present could you get?!

So, B was still hungry and asked for another order of chicken nuggets. I, (being the health-conscious mom that I am) said, "Do you want a cookie or more chicken nuggets?"
The kid answered, "A cookie. AND more chicken nuggets."

------

On Tuesday, S spent most of her morning crying. B said, "Mom, S is whining ALOT today. Can she go to her room or something?"
S said, "B! I WAS going to get a treat today for earning five stars (which is lost if she whines), and I WAS going to share some of my treat with YOU. Now I won't be able to."
B paused, and then said, "Mom, I think S has been so good today. She didn't whine or cry or hit or anything. She was just nice all day."

Huh.

Last story:
B broke the GLASS (who thought of this preschool craft anyway?!) Christmas ornament that he made at MOPS. He dropped it on our tile floor. It shattered. He walked over to Z, all calm, and said, "I dropped my ornament. You didn't want yours, did you?"
Z looked at his ornament adoringly, and said, "Um, you can have it if you want, B."
And B held out his hand in expectation.

So, in case you haven't gathered it so far, B knows how to get what he wants. Or at least he tries. He is creative in his problem-solving. He takes charge of situations. He is assertive. He makes the most of every opportunity.

Right now, I have to struggle to remember that one day, when he is just a little bit older and less narcissistic, these will all be very, very good traits to possess.

No comments:

Post a Comment