Search This Blog

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Degree in Parenting


We went camping this weekend. I remember when camping was relaxing: We would set up the tent early, sit around the campfire and chat, play cards by lantern light, talk some more, eat smores, and go to bed exceptionally late (knowing we could sleep in until noon the next morning). Now, we no sooner than get out of the car, and we are reminding the kids not to throw stones at the van (and yes, that mean Jason's truck too, B) or at each other or at us. Then, we had to steer the kids away from our axe-wielding (wood-chopping) friend. (He was the boy's hero of the moment, and they wanted to be extra-special close.) We had to make sure the kids didn't land themselves in the fire. We reminded them (again and again) to stay out of the campground road.

Mostly, the kids listened to our reminders, and it was a generally happy time.

Until...

we put the kids to bed.

Approximately two (or three) hours later (after many talkings-to and some spanking), our kids finally fell asleep.

I ended up laying in the tent with the kids the next night (alternating between spanking and yelling), while everyone else talked and laughed and had a good ol' time around the campfire. And it made me wonder...why don't we get trained in parenting? Where is the Parenting 101? And is Parenting Multiples 101 different than regular Parenting 101? What would have happened if I just said "Screw it, we're on vacation. Let them play and have fun!" What if you don't want to spank that much? What other consequences do you give kids who are supposed to stay in bed? (You can't really give them time-outs! If you did, where do you put them? Outside, where they'd love to be?)
My friend was reminding me that my kids are actually pretty well-behaved. They were fine (mostly) during the day. They were happy in the sand. They played well at the park. They ate well enough. They are generally happy. They listen (sometimes). But what about the times when they don't listen? What about when they don't come when I call them? Or when they don't lay down when I want them to stay in bed? Or when they don't stop throwing food (or rocks or water) at each other? When do I let them fight it out? When do I let them learn from natural consequences? What about when they get a bed? Do I make them stay in it? How? By staying in there with them? What if I don't want to? And how long? Until I go to bed? Until they are Four? Six? Twelve? When do they listen because I asked and not because they are being watched or punished? How do I teach them that right now?

Other than this small my-kids-don't-always-listen issue, we really did have a good time. Really. But now it is 11 pm, and I have B still crying (actually, screaming to the point of making himself puke) in his bedroom, because he is so over-tired he can't get to sleep, and so I am naturally thinking of the negative.

I would go camping again in a heartbeat. Thanks for inviting, guys. It really was fun.

(Ok, now two kids are crying. Really Hard.)

No comments:

Post a Comment