Search This Blog

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Super Boy

I am a little bit of a spoiled brat, maybe, and I often wonder why we don't see more miracles in our lives.  Why doesn't God show Himself to us?  Why were there a bunch of miracles in the Bible, but we see "none" of them today?

And then...

I recently brought Z to a mandatory neuropsychology assessment.  Because of the massive brain hemorrhage (and therefore shunt placement) he endured in neonatal, Z is evaluated every three years, to assure he is reaching developmental milestones.

Last time I brought him in, the neuropsychologist said to me, "THIS is not the boy I expected to see.  According to his charts, he has had quite a significant brain bleed....and I know he has cerebral palsy."
I wasn't sure what he meant, but he told me later, he was surprised at how well Z was doing.
The doctor was glad for his development, but Z did have some minor deficits then, mostly in fine motor skills and some processing tasks.  He was processing alot of things on only one side of his brain.  I wasn't worried.  I didn't really see any ways that those things limited him in any way, so I mostly blew it off.

THIS time, after his SEVEN HOUR appointment, the doctor said, "You have an amazing boy here.  His processing is even on both sides of his brain (which is good), the deficits I noted last time are no longer, and he is keeping up with his peers."

"All good things," I thought, "but not surprising."  (Of COURSE he was doing well!  Why wouldn't he be!?)

E'hem.

And the doctor went on to say, "I did not expect this from him.  Most kids with the level of brain damage he has endured are able to keep up with their peers for the first years of life.  They develop at a similar level (running his finger in the air at a slow, steady incline).  However, when their peers begin school, kids like Z develop on the same developmental path as they have been (slow incline), while their peers' progress more quickly and on a steeper incline.  I am astounded to let you know that Z is keeping right up with his peers.  He is an amazing young man.  I am glad to have worked with him."

"Amazing," he said again.

And I tried not to get all teary and emotional.  Because I am raising a kid whose development is unexpected.  Is atypical.  Is....can we say...a miracle?

And I didn't even know.

Or I forgot to look.

So I left thankful.  Wondering how many other miracles we miss every day.

(And knowing that I will forget and be ungrateful probably by the time I got home.)

1 comment:

  1. I really do not have words...because I know God does these things, has the power to do them, reaches down to touch and heal and restore. I am delighted that our amazing Papa God chose such amazing things for Z. I celebrate with you!!

    ReplyDelete