Search This Blog

Monday, May 28, 2007

Our House - Thanks


I am not a gift giver. Once, I gave K socks for his birthday. And before that, I gave him a book that I wanted to read.

Once, I promised to make homemade baked goods for friends, for a year....

I held true to my contract for about three months.

And when I was in grade school, I picked out a ceramic pig for my friend's birthday. It said, in big black letters, "You are worth your weight in gold!"
She kept it, but she didn't like it. She still brings it up to this day. She was sure I was trying to tell her that she was fat.

I am an Acts of Service kind of girl.

So, here is my dilemma. Lots of people from the church have sacrificed most of their lives for the last three months for our family. They have eaten luke-warm sandwiches for lunch and packaged cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Their cafeteria is the basement of the parsonage. Their early mornings (before the sun) and late nights have been spent working on the house that will soon be our family's home. Fingers have probably been hammered once or twice. Muscles are sore. A few wives are sick of their husbands being away. And we basically, through their sacrifice, have been given a new home. New walls. New ceilings. New floors. New counters. New reason to cry...

Instead of crying because the place is butt-ugly and really disgusting, I have been crying because I feel like a spoiled brat.

And I feel like I want to give back. And I thought about using my natural gifts, which would be Acts of Service, by offering to clean their houses. But all of their houses are HUGE! I don't have time for that! Ahahahha! How's that for really wanting to "give"?! I do want to give something though. To the guys who worked their butts off, and for their wives who were stuck home alone for the last many weeks.

I am at a loss.

What can you give to a large group of people when you have not-so-much money and pretty limited time? Creative givers, email me. Or call me. Or something.

A dumb ol' Hallmark just doesn't seem to accomplish what I feel like they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment